Join FTAS on the morning of November 15, 2011 at 11:00 am, as we celebrate the unveiling of a new historic plaque at the eastern end of the Pimmit Run Trail, where the Declaration of Independence was hidden in 1814. Arlington County board member Jay Fisette will make remarks. Additional details to be released shortly.
The Pimmit Run Trail Map erroneously shows an “informal easement” near the end of the path from N. Randolph St. in Arlington to the Trail: there is no such informal easement. The location of the Trail in that area also is erroneously shown. The Trail crosses Pimmit Run upstream of the erroneous “informal easement”, proceeds along the other side of Pimmit Run until just past the George Washington Memorial Parkway Bridge and then recrosses Pimmit Run. The Trail Map is in the process of being corrected.
a map showed a small stream here. The name appears on the Record
of Surveys, page 103, on a plat prepared for a 1773 suit. Two tribuataries
of the Bridge Branch were also mentioned: Darneds Spring Branch
and Thrifts Spring Branch.
hundred years later, the construction of several large transportation
projects enlarged and lengthened this stream.
the stream is longer, it is less of a stream and more of a drainage
ditch. When Virginia built Interstate 66, they extended the channel
toward Route 7 at Idylwood Road. Then, in rapid succession, WMATA
built the West Falls Church metro station and the maintenance yard
on Idylwood Road. Finally, they constructed the extension to the
Dulles Toll Road. All of these projects directed excess storm water
into this stream, which carried the water to Pimmit Run. This stream/ditch
joins Pimmit Run just north of Great Falls Road.
Burke's Spring Branch
Spring Branch joins Pimmit Run near the little league fields. Its
watershed includes two large parks: Kirby and Longfellow. Together
with some large school yards and church properties, these parks
help purify the water in this stream.
It has a
was called Cockerill's Spring Branch until Burke bought Cockerill's
house in 1837. The house still stands today.
flows past McLean High School and through the Bryn Mawr neighborhood.
late 18th-Century one person owned almost all of this stream. His
parcel of land was 198-acres. It became the subject of a law-suit
for trespass, possibly for felling timber on the land. In the court
records, the survey of the property states, "The name given to the
tributary [of Pimmit Run] is Saucy Branch, which traverses this
tract." Thanks to John Weiler for this information
flows into Pimmit Run just south of Old Dominion Drive. Pimmit Run
Trail crosses it on a fair-weather crossing
is less than a mile long. It joins Pimmit Run near the Highland
Swim Club and Pimmit Bend Park. Its source is south of Old Chesterbrook
Road. From the source it flows only intermittently until it crosses
under Old Dominion Drive.
Old Dominion Drive, it has a year-round flow. Here a long, narrow
park protects its banks. There is evidence of erosion. A citizen
monitored this stream for a while.
it is small, it drains an area rich in history: Saint John's Church
is in its watershed. In present-day Chesterbrook, formerly Lincolnville,
freed blacks gailned title to lands by purchase from the Crocker
family, who were Unionists. The area of black settlement was and
is north of Kirby Road between Church and Potomac Hills. The old
black church on the west side of this area is the First Baptist
Church. Rev. Cyrus Carter was the first minister of this church.
At the same time he also served a community of African-Americans
It is named
after Thos. Bryan, an 18th-Century lessor of land., which was owned
by George Washington's brother, Charles.
Little Pimmit Run
Run is the largest tributary of Pimmit Run. Little Pimmit has a
large watershed. It drains parts of both Arlington and Fairfax Counties.
Although the density of the population of the watershed is increasing,
several parks keep the stream relatively pure. For example, Marie
Butler Leven Nature Preserve, an unit of Fairfax County's Park Authority,
adjoins Little Pimmit Run. More ominously, infilling in Arlington
County has destroyed some of the headwaters of the stream.
Pimmit joins Pimmit Run a few yards downstream from the bridge of
Kirby Road over the main branch.
Branch has its headwaters in Arlington County at Easter Spring behind
4607 41st St. N. This spring was named for Auntie Easter, an 18th-Century
black resident. The spring served the farm of the Henry Lockwood
family. Henry Lockwood, a native of New York, moved to present-day
Arlington County in 1856. his daughters lived in the farmhouse until
the 1960's. The farmhouse still stands on Glebe Road. During the
Civil War, Northern troops stationed in nearby Fort Eathan Allen
frequently visited the farm and its spring.
another emigrant from New York, owned fifty acres between the Lockwood
farm and Pimmit Run in the later half of the 19th-Century.
of this stream is conjecture. It awaits confirmation in the historical
to John Weiler for this information